Monday 11 May 2009

The alphabet

Hello, everybody! For all of those who don’t know me I’m Mariana. Newbie but glad to be part of CI Zona Sul teachers team.


My first post is dedicated to one of those ideas that come out of nowhere. I don’t know about you, but my best moves happen exactly when I’m in the middle of something – specially during a game.


Teaching the alphabet


As some of you know, teaching the alphabet can be extremely boring. Well, not anymore!


If you’re teaching kids a good way to introduce the alphabet is by telling your group they’ve become all rappers. As you are introducing the sounds, tell students to repeat after you and follow the rhythm.


Begin with the usual A, B, C. And go back with C, B, A. Then try another random trios. Save the most difficult sounds to the middle. Then repeat one letter only (j- j- j or k-k-k). Also you can introduce the rappers (a.k.a the students) by saying “DJ” before their names.


It’s really fun! I can tell you: they just l-o-v-e it!


I hope I was somewhat useful!

Mariana

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mari,
    that's a great ideia. Must be real fun. I'll try with my students next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to talk to you in person in order to understand it well, but it seems really original and fun. I guess children love it.

    ReplyDelete